TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Under VetMatch, VBB places its volunteers with projects operated by VBB-registered Partner Organisations: groups that have undergone thorough assessment by VBB, in terms of their activities, staffing, facilities, volunteer support and security.
Whilst it is necessary to hold current VBB membership prior to applying to register as a VBB volunteer, VBB membership is neither a contract nor a guarantee that an application to register as a VBB volunteer will be approved.
VBB has strict requirements for volunteer registration, to ensure the integrity, efficiency and viability of its programs and the welfare of animals cared for by its volunteer community. Registered VBB volunteers must maintain current VBB membership if they wish to retain eligibility for placements under VBB programs.
The wellbeing of volunteers is a VBB priority at all stages of the volunteering process; however VBB is not liable or responsible for outcomes or consequences of applying to register as a VBB volunteer, the screening and volunteer registration process, or prior to, during or subsequent to placement of volunteers. VBB Volunteers are at all times responsible for their personal safety, actions and behaviour.
VBB is not liable for any costs incurred by volunteers prior to, during or subsequent to their volunteer placements, including any travel expenses.
VBB has established strict procedures and protocols to ensure, as far as reasonably possible, the security and safety of volunteers whilst on placements. In the event that natural disaster or any other act impacts on volunteers’ travel to or from placements or the period of the placements, volunteers will receive as much support from VBB staff and its agents as is reasonably possible. However, VBB accepts no responsibility or liability for the safety or security of volunteers.
Prior to confirming a placement, volunteers are required to enter into an agreement binding them to VBB’s Terms and Conditions while participating in any program or activity affiliated, managed or administered by Vets Beyond Borders. We may revise these Terms and Conditions from time to time by updating this posting. Revised Terms take effect from the time of posting.
Responsibilities of Vets Beyond Borders
Responsibilities of Partner Organisations
The following declaration lists VBB’s Terms & Conditions which detail what is expected of you prior to, during and following your placement. Please read this document carefully.
As a VBB volunteer, I understand, acknowledge, and agree to the following Terms & Conditions, which will apply during my placement and will continue in full force and effect after my placement has been completed:
1. I understand I will not be paid for work done during my placement. I am a volunteer and not an employee or representative of VBB or any other organisation involved with the placement.
2. I understand that VBB does not provide personal accident cover for volunteers and acknowledge that I was advised, prior to accepting this placement, whether the PO with which I will be placed provides such insurance cover. If no such cover is in place, I understand that I am responsible for my personal accident insurance cover with respect to this placement.
3. I understand that the VBB POLICY on vaccination status of volunteers is as follows:
o To be eligible for deployment by Vets Beyond Borders (VBB), volunteers must provide evidence that their COVID-19 vaccination status complies with current government COVID-19 vaccination recommendations in both the volunteer’s country of residence and the country of placement. As a minimum, volunteers must provide evidence of a primary course of two vaccinations for COVID-19 prior to deployment
o Prior to deployment to a region where rabies is endemic, volunteers must provide evidence of adequate rabies immunisation or adequate rabies antibody titre.
o With respect to placements with groups providing care to wildlife in Australia, if a volunteer seeks placement with a group that has advised VBB that contact with bats is possible, prior to deployment the volunteer must provide evidence of adequate rabies immunisation or adequate rabies antibody titre.
o In the event that a volunteer, placed with a group that has advised VBB that contact with bats will not occur, is asked to examine or treat a bat, VBB requires that the volunteer declines to do so and contacts VBB as soon as possible.
• Other diseases
o With respect to other vaccinations, prior to placements in foreign countries volunteers are advised to follow the recommendations of the relevant government authority in their country of residence.
4. On arrival at the location of the placement (or online during induction processes), and prior to commencing work, I will read and sign the risk mitigation policy of the PO with which I have been placed.
5. If I wish to be covered under VBB’s professional indemnity and public liability insurance policy, I must be a current financial member of VBB.
6. For the purposes of furthering the work of VBB, I agree that VBB may have access to, use, or give others permission to use, any photographs taken by me or of me while working as a volunteer, without attribution or compensation.
7. I agree to complete a VBB volunteer feedback form as soon as possible on completion of my placement. A link to this form will be supplied by VBB after completion of my placement.
8. I agree not to make any private or public representation of, or on behalf of, VBB or its activities, or make any comment or provide any material to any newspaper or other media outlet without the specific permission of VBB.
9. I agree to ensure that the activities with which I am involved during the placement are performed in a safe manner and that I fully acquaint myself with all necessary training in relation to those facilities and the use of equipment (if any), and that I use all reasonable endeavours to eradicate any unsafe work practices. If I have any concerns regarding the safety of my volunteer activities, I agree to notify VBB immediately.
10. I understand that veterinary students participating in VBB programs (Australia and International) are only authorised to perform the duties of veterinary nurses. They are not permitted to perform acts of veterinary science. They must be supervised by a registered veterinarian or other senior staff member of the PO staff, to ensure that their duties are restricted to those of a veterinary nurse.
11. I understand that a copy of this declaration (i.e. VBB Volunteer Declaration) will be submitted to the PO and a registered veterinarian or senior staff member of the PO staff will co-sign this document, recognising the professional status of the volunteer (veterinarian, veterinary nurse, veterinary student) and acknowledging the PO’s role in supervision of any veterinary student volunteers. Copies of the signed declaration will be kept on file at VBB, returned to the volunteer and a copy sent to the PO.
12. I understand that I have an obligation to take reasonable care of my own health and safety, and the health and safety of others, and agree to comply with all reasonable instructions from VBB and the PO with which I am placed.
13. I acknowledge that any information (in written, verbal or any other form and whether or not marked as ‘confidential’) obtained by me from or in relation to VBB in the course of the placement, including without limitation, personal information (as defined by applicable privacy legislation), is private and I agree to keep all such information strictly confidential unless VBB authorises me in writing to disclose that information.
14. I agree to hold VBB indemnified, free and harmless against any claim, loss or damage arising now or in the future out of any act, negligence, or omission by me in preparation for or during my placement. I agree to accept fully the risks associated with the work which I will be undertaking during my placement, and therefore release VBB and hold VBB indemnified, free and harmless from any claim, loss or damage occurring to myself or my possessions whilst undertaking my placement.
15. I agree to comply unconditionally with the Terms & Conditions contained within this form.