Clinical work in Rarotonga
With regular outreach work to outer islands
Te Are Manu is a charity vet clinic located on the tropical island paradise that is Rarotonga, Cook Islands!
Volunteers will see a varied caseload including routine consultations and afterhours emergencies, basic trauma management, simple orthopaedic procedures and a high volume of spey and neuter surgeries. There is often work with the Ministry of Agriculture for livestock cases too.
The clinic is very well-equipped with gas anaesthesia (isoflurane and oxygen generators), dedicated surgery room (with air-conditioning!), X-ray machine (digital), dental equipment, on-site kennels for hospital in-patients, IV fluid pumps, and a well-stocked pharmacy.
Volunteer deployments can involve clinical work only, or can be combined with outreach work depending on availability and timing – see below.
What is provided for volunteers:
- Accommodation (depending on availability)
- Airport pick up / drop off
- Assistance with Visas (if needed)
- Transfers to/from places of project work including domestic flights to outer islands
- Local orientation and hospitality
- VBB t-shirt
- Professional indemnity and public liability insurance